This context (Feature 55, Bag 984) consists of artifacts found within a trash midden located halfway between the New Gaol (the first structure built as a jail) and the First Almshouse, now the site of present-day City Hall Park. The First Almshouse opened in 1735 and the New Gaol in 1759. The deposit, consisting of a total of 7,920 artifacts (excluding bone), is thought to have been a mixed trash midden for both of these buildings.
For more information about this deposit, please see pages 473 to 525 of the City Hall Park (2008) site report.
Collection and "triage recovery" during monitoring