The Durst Organization founded in 1915 by Joseph Durst, is the owner, manager, and builder of 13 million square feet of premiere Manhattan office towers and 1,950 residential units with 2,400 under construction. The Durst Organization is recognized as a world leader in the development of high-performance and environmentally advanced commercial and residential buildings.
Thanks to the advocacy of Dr. Nan A. Rothschild, a renowned urban archaeologist and academic in New York City and a member of the Durst family, The Durst Organization donated the climate controlled space for use as the city’s Archaeological Repository.
The Durst Organization also supports the Seymour B. Durst Old York Library collection at the Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library at Columbia University. Similar to the Rothschild Research Center, Old York consists of more than 40,000 objects that were collected by Mr. Durst throughout his lifetime including historic photographs, maps, pamphlets, postcards, books, and New York City memorabilia from the 18th century to the 1980s.
Iron Mountain Incorporated (NYSE: IRM) is the global leader in storage and information management services, trusted by organizations around the world to protect and preserve what matters most. Based in Boston, the company is supporting LPC’s efforts at the Repository with a combination of financial and in-kind services including digitizing archaeological documents and storing a portion of the collection- through its Living Legacy Initiative, which provides financial grants and in-kind service support to organizations that share Iron Mountain's philanthropic focus on cultural and historical preservation.
About Assistance we Received:
The Fund for the City of New York The Fund was established by the Ford Foundation in 1968 with the mandate to improve the quality of life for all New Yorkers. They have been managing funds for the Repository since 2012.
The New York City Department of Planning Funding for the Repository and the database was provided through the Department of Planning in connection with a project located at 15 Williams Street in Manhattan.
The Museum of the City of New York The Museum was founded in 1923 and is located at 1220 Fifth Avenue (103rd Street), New York, New York. It celebrates and interprets the city, educates the public about its distinctive character, especially its heritage of diversity, opportunity, and perpetual transformation. The Museum was hired by the LPC to help create a systematic database and curation guidelines for the city’s collections, and to inventory, scan, and digitize collections. To date they have added 14 collections to the database.
The website and repository database were designed by Keepthinking. The New York City Department of Information Technology and Telecommunications provided technical guidance and assistance.
The following agencies are responsible for the collections that came from their sites: The New York City Department of Parks and Recreation, New York City Department of Design and Construction, New York City Economic Development Corporation, and New York City Department of Education, and we would like to acknowledge the Brooklyn College Archaeological Research Center and the Duncan Strong Museum, Columbia University for their past contribution in storing many of the city’s archaeological collections. Finally, we would like to thank the New York City Department of Records for their guidance and assistance.